Sub-header

           Six impossible things before breakfast.


A library science student's perspective on life, the universe, and everything.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Last day of classes - Fall 2011

Today was the last day of classes of my first semester of library science school. Half of me is flat out refusing to believe that I'll never sit in these classes again, and half of me cannot wait to finish up my last couple finals and take a few weeks off for the holidays.

Was this semester what I was expecting? Not exactly, I'd say. I think I was anticipating more practical library instruction (which admittedly we did get in Reference), and I was pleasantly surprised by the depth (and variety) of the theoretical and ideological components of the program. I think I learned that I don't really want to be a reference librarian (which was sort of my plan going into the program) or an archivist probably, but I feel like there are a lot of new career options that I'm genuinely interested in and that I had never even really heard of before this semester. I was worried that compared to studying literature and language in undergrad, library school was going to be too "science-y." But I find that now I'm excited to explore the technical side of information science more in future semesters.

I always have a hard time letting go of classes; I will have more to say about this semester in the near future, I'm sure, but right now I feel like I'm just trying to process the last three and a half months. Trying to catch my brain up to 12-07-11.

No comments:

Post a Comment