Sub-header

           Six impossible things before breakfast.


A library science student's perspective on life, the universe, and everything.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Users like me

As I'm reading articles and studies about libraries and information services, I'm beginning to feel that I'm still more like the "users" in the articles than the librarians and information professionals. The way I look at library resources and think about catalogs and databases is still from the standpoint of a patron, rather than the librarian I hope to someday be.

Though that said, I just read through the "ALA Guidelines for Behavioral Performance of Reference and Information Service Providers," and for the first time am feeling like the several years of lamentable customer service jobs I have accrued might actually prove useful. I'm not sure that a career in reference is exactly what I want to pursue, but I definitely feel a connection to it because of my many experiences (both good and bad) with greeting people that come through the door or walk up to the front desk and wondering (sometimes apprehensively) what in the world they are going to ask me this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment