Sub-header

           Six impossible things before breakfast.


A library science student's perspective on life, the universe, and everything.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Week

Technically I've finished my first week of library science school! Though I have one class yet to visit so things still feel a little incomplete... but I wound up dropping one class that I already went to once, so I guess it kind of evens out?

What I'm immediately most struck by is how completely different all my classes are. Which is great! Library science is definitely an interdisciplinary field, and my courses this semester reflect just how many different aspects go into the study of information. In a theory-based class we spend the period talking about information science pioneers and trying to get to the base of questions like how information and library science is defined and what its purpose should be in the world today. In reference we visited the graduate library on campus and discussed problems within the modern library and tentative solutions to those problems. And I already have the feeling that I'm going to learn a lot from my final class of the day. Ironically this is the course that I really didn't want to take, but "Information Tools" is going to provide me with the foundation to turn my studies into real world applications.

So overall I'm very happy with my life as an MSLS grad student right now, I'm not buried under a pile of reading (yet..) or struggling with a Master's thesis (oh dear). I'm looking forward another week of classes, and especially the first day of my fourth course: archives!

No comments:

Post a Comment