Sub-header

           Six impossible things before breakfast.


A library science student's perspective on life, the universe, and everything.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Play?

By now most people have probably seen the "NEW" flag that appeared on Google search bars across the Internet and given into the temptation to check out the oddly named new Google function: "Play." But what is Google Play exactly? I kind of hate to say it, but basically to me it just looks like another way to generate even more dollars for Google. Now there is a Google-specific page to serve as a gateway to your favorite music, movies, books, and apps. Rent movies, buy e-books, store them all in the Google Cloud, and "share" them with your friends--not really, of course, but you can post about them, or email suggestions to your friends about what music and movies they should be buying too.

I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed in Google. They are such an Internet and computing pioneer, I have come to expect bigger and more innovative things from them. I suppose I need to devote some more time to exploring the possibilities of Google Play, but for now I'm filing this post under Google disillusionment.

No comments:

Post a Comment